1. When do applications for the MBBS/MGHD open?

  • Applications Class of 2027 will be open from Early June, 2021 until mid October 2021.

2. What are the requirements for admission?

3. What is the admissions process?

  • Applications are submitted online. Each applicant is asked to submit their National Exams results. In addition to demographic information, applicants are required to submit their personal statement:. After the Admissions Committee reviews all applications, select candidates are invited to sit for an online entrance examination, and a subset of those candidates are invited for interviews. 

4. What is the timeline for the MBBS/MGHD 2022 intake admissions process?

  • 4 to 5 months

5. Does the MBBS/MGHD accept international applicants?

  • YES, UGHE is accepting students from these East African countries: Burundi, DRC, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda.  

6. I applied to the MBBS/MGHD program last year but wasn’t accepted. Can I reapply?

  • Applicants who have applied to the MBBS program in the past but have been unsuccessful are encouraged to re-apply. Candidates can apply twice to join the program.

7. I am already a medical student in a different university. Am I allowed to apply?

  • NO. UGHE does not accept transfer students. A transfer student is one who applies to UGHE after having begun his or her course of study at a different university or school. 

8. If I am accepted into the MBBS/MGHD 2022 intake but choose not to attend, can I defer my acceptance?

  • Acceptance into the MGHD Class of 2022 does not guarantee acceptance in the future. If an applicant chooses to decline his/her offer, s/he is required to reapply for admission.
  • If a student who has dropped out of the program would like to rejoin, they must re-apply to the program through the normal application process. 

9. Duration of validity of the High School/Upper Secondary leaving marks

  • 2 years, (For EAC countries: Burundi, 2020 and 2021 respectively, DRC, 2019-2021, respectively, Tanzania, 2020 and 2021 respectively, Uganda- 2019 and 2021 respectively,  and Rwanda: 2019 and 2021 respectively.

10. If I already have a Bsc degree, can I apply

  • Yes, A Bachelor’s degrees in any of these specialities: Nursing, Laboratory Science, Pharmacy, Radiography, Anesthesia, or other fields closely related to health care.

11. If I have international diplomas, am I eligible to apply?

Yes you are

12. If my transcripts and diplomas are not in English, do I need to get them translated?

  • YES. If your transcripts are not in English OR French, you must submit authenticated, translated copies of your transcripts and diplomas, as well as copies in their original language. All transcripts and diplomas will be verified by an international transcript verification body. 
  • You are required to submit certified copies of your official documents which are: 
    • Personal documentation: Passport, (for applicants from the EAC region) 
    • Rwandan applicants (National ID), 
    • Birth certificate and
    • Transcripts and diplomas (for lower and upper secondary).
  • A certified copy is a photocopy of a document that contains a statement made by a professional affirming that they have seen the original document, the information on the copy matches the original, and the photocopy has not been altered in any way.  Only a lawyer, commissioner of oaths and the Police can certify the copies.
  • Please note that each page needs to be signed and stamped.

13. Translation Process Explained

  • In all situations, supporting documents that are in a language other than English or French must be accompanied by an official translation of the original document, or of a certified copy of the original document in English or French.

14. The translation must be:

  • of the original document, or
  • of the certified copy of the original document, and
  • certified by a certified translator, or in the event that the translation cannot be provided by a certified translator, it must be accompanied by an affidavit included with the application (swearing to the accuracy of the translation and the language proficiency of the translator)
  • A translator who has not yet received certification or accreditation, but is in the process of receiving it, is not considered a certified translator for UGHEs purposes.
  • When a certified copy of the original document is submitted, the accompanying translation must be of the certified copy and the translator must stamp both the certified copy and the translation.

15. If the translation is being done outside of Rwanda

  • Applicants should use the services of a translator who is accredited (officially recognized or authorized) in the country where the translation is being completed.
  • For all applicants (in or outside of Rwanda): translations must not be done by
    • the applicants themselves,
    • members of the applicant’s family,
    • the applicant’s representatives or consultants,
  • Any family member of the applicant who may be a lawyer, notary or translator is also not permitted to translate documents. This includes a parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew and first cousin.

NB: Should the accuracy of the translation appear suspect, UGHE reserves the right to request a retranslation by a different translator. UGHE is not responsible for any translation fees.

16. Submitted applications without translations

  • Applicants who submit required and/or requested documents without accompanying translations will have their application returned as incomplete. They will also be asked to have the original document(s) translated into English or French by a certified translator (or the equivalent in other countries), and RE-SUBMIT the application with the original document(s), or a certified copy or copies of the original document(s), and the certified translation(s) attached.
  • This will involve additional time and expense on the applicant’s part and can be avoided by always ensuring that any document that is not in English or French is translated by a certified (or equivalent) translator.

17. Right to ask for a translation and authentication

  • Should the accuracy of the translation appear suspect, UGHE retains the right to request a retranslation by a different certified translator at any time.

18. List of Documents to be translated:

  • Personal documentation: Passport, 
  • Birth certificate
  • Transcripts and diplomas (for lower and upper secondary)

19. Can I complain, challenge the Admissions process?

  • YES you can. Complaints or concerns related to UGHE’s admissions policies or procedures must be brought to the Manager of Admissions, Records, and Student Services in writing for review. If the concern or grievance is related to the Manager of Admissions, Records, and Student Services, it should be brought in writing to the Dean of the school of medicine for review.

20. How do you assure transparency?

  • UGHE aims to educate students who have a global interest, a commitment to leadership, and a desire to address issues of inequity and disparity through health delivery. UGHE’s Office of Admissions, Records, and Student Services aligns with this vision by considering all applications in a holistic and equitable manner. The Office values all aspects of an applicant’s profile, including but not limited to supplemental documents, National Exams results, admissions exams and interviews, and overall alignment with the University’s mission and vision.

21. Can I use my own Health insurance?

  • MBBS/MGHD students will receive health insurance for the duration of their academic stay at UGHE. Students will be receiving a detailed information session on this insurance scheme and coverage during the orientation week. 

22. Can I opt out of the UMUSANZU contract after graduation?

  • NO. Exception can be made to work only for two (2) years if the student is going to pursue clinical residency training or Advanced Basic Sciences training. This decision is at the discretion of the Ministry. 
  • However, the Student shall be obligated to repay the University all tuition and boarding fees for his/her MBBS/MGHD studies at UGHE in the event that he or she: fails to complete his or her 6-9 years of service. However, the repayment does not preclude the student from incurring other penalties or charges specified in more specific regulations that he or she is party to.